Sunday, May 11, 2008

on a dead swan

To preface this post, I love animals...alot.

The dead swan has been on my mind a good deal lately. I just don't know what we should do. It's not like we would have had any part in killing the swan. This decoy maker just happens to have several swans in his freezer to take out when he needs a model for his decoys.

Would we still be able to say that no animals were harmed in the making of the film? it seems that we would, because we are just using a swan that is already dead. It's not like we would be supporting some dead swan industry. How would using a frozen swan be different from using a taxidermied swan (which is one thing we were considering before.) I don't think there is much of a difference.

I guess I should do more of a survey on whether or not using a real dead swan would be considered cruelty to animals. Alanna and I have always wanted to make a controversial film, but an animal cruelty controversy and PETA protest is not what we are hoping for.

Right now, I think that if we were to film with this swan, we would be using a small tragedy (the killing of a swan) for the good of a piece of art. A high and mighty statement, perhaps, but also, I think true.

Alanna and I need to talk about this a lot. We will keep all of you loyal blog readers posted. I really want to know what y'all think! Please use the comment box as a floor for a great debate.

<3
Katherine

1 comment:

morgiepoo said...

I am as lost as you! Remember when you were upset that we wasted so much water in the making of Bloodbath 3? Golly, I just don't have a clue.